Hostage US offers tailored on-site training for organizations on handling the human dynamics of kidnapping. Drawing on our team’s knowledge and experience of supporting hundreds of families and former hostages over many years, we can help your organization to understand and implement effective policies for family support and hostage reintegration. For more information, see our education program video or contact us.
How we organize the training
We will work with you to design a training package that meets your exact needs.
First choose from our training topic modules:
- The basics of family support: first contact with the family, handling ongoing communication, family liaison skills, dealing with family dynamics, supporting children, responding to critical moments i.e. proof of life, release of videos, threat to life, being sensitive to cultural, religious and gender dynamics
- Family liaison personnel: why are they needed, what is their role, personal and professional qualities, training needs and how to support them, managing ‘over-stretch’ in a long-term hostage case
- Organizational issues: information management and record keeping, communication with staff about the incident, supporting the crisis management team, dealing with third-party contractors
- Media and social media: handling hostage and family social media accounts, advising children and young people on dealing with social media, answering family questions about the media, working with your corporate communications colleagues
- Supporting hostages and families post-release or following death: initial meeting, your role in the debrief process, provision of professional support services to hostages, advice on viewing death images and videos, preparing for and working to obtain repatriation of remains, grief support in the workplace
- Reintegration to the workplace: support in resuming roles, part-time work, supporting managers and colleagues through reintegration, long-term human resource issues
Second, tell us how long you would like the training to last – a half-day, one-day or two days
Third, tell us who will attend – some organizations prefer to train teams individually, others prefer a mixed team from security, human resources, legal and corporate communications. We can tailor our training to both approaches.
Finally, tell us if you have a preference for scenarios, case studies, multi-media products or a more traditional learning environment.
Our training is priced competitively:
- Half-day – $4,000
- One-day – $6,000
- Two-days – $10,000
All prices are exclusive of travel costs.
Our training is delivered by Rachel Briggs, Executive Director of Hostage US. Rachel has over a decade’s experience supporting hundreds of families and returning hostages and has trained scores of organizations.
Get in touch to discuss training
If you would like to discuss your training needs, please get in touch. We do not believe in hard sell, so we will take things at your pace. We are happy to discuss with no commitment and give you the space to decide without pressure. For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.