There are many ways to get involved with Hostage US and support our mission. Read more about the opportunities including:
- Joining our team
- Spreading the word
Hostage US is proud to deliver its support to families and returning hostages free of charge. Please help us continue to offer support to all families and hostages regardless of their personal financial circumstances by making a donation.
Matching Gifts: Many employers sponsor matching gift programs and will match any charitable contribution by their employees, retirees or employees’ spouses. Ask your organization if they have a matching gift program and double your impact.
Organize a fundraising activity
Consider organizing a fundraising activity to raise money for Hostage US. For example, you could organize:
- a coffee morning with your network
- a discussion at an association or membership group
- an evening cocktail event
- a golf outing, or
- a fundraising race.
Sign up to join our Hostage US running team who races annually in the DC Rock n' Roll Half Marathon/5k held in Washington, DC in March. We begin organizing the race in December and if you are interested in joining the team, please get in touch.
If you are interested in organizing any type of fundraising activity, please get in touch. We can help and offer tips on how to organize it, promote it, and maximize what you raise.
Consider donating your time by volunteering with Hostage US. We are able to offer all services to hostages and their families free of charge because so many generous people give us their time and expertise without charging.
Get in touch if you are interested in volunteering – anything from a few hours a month to one day per week or more. Most volunteers need not make any minimum time commitment to get involved.
We are looking for –
- Physicians to offer medical assistance to returning hostages
- Psychologists and psychiatrists to offer counseling and treatment sessions for families and hostages during and after a kidnapping
- Dentists willing to offer treatment for returning hostages
- Child psychologists to help Hostage US to develop resources for children whose parent has been kidnapped, and to help parents to communicate with their children during and after a hostage incident
- Financial advisors able to offer advice and services for families and returning hostages experiencing financial hardship to help them make the most of their resources and get back on their feet financially
- Lawyers able to give time to offer legal assistance to families during a kidnapping, perhaps helping to prepare a Power of Attorney for example
- Researchers interested in gathering data and papers relating to kidnapping to help us develop the international knowledge base
You might not have any of these professional skills but would like to donate a few hours a week or month to Hostage US. Please get in touch and we can talk about how you could help. Contact us.
Join our team
Communications and Program Intern
Hostage US is looking for a Communications and Program Intern who will provide support to our remote day-to-day operations and various areas within the organization while gaining valuable nonprofit experience. Hostage US is run by a small, dynamic team allowing room for the Communications and Program Intern to make a tangible impact on our mission.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter detailing why you are interested in an internship with Hostage US. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Social Media & Email Marketing
- Create engaging content for social media channels and publish posts on Hootsuite
- Analyze data from social media channels to update statistics and understand trends
- Create infographics to demonstrate our impact and work using Canva or similar program for fundraising campaigns
- Compose marketing emails for fundraising campaigns and events and contribute to the newsletter using Constant Contact
- Update event and marketing webpages using WordPress
- Review resources on website and remove out of date resources and broken links
- Research and add resources for families and hostages to the website
- Conduct research and create briefs on various aspects of family support for the for the purpose of directly supporting a family going through a kidnapping
- Write one-page informational resources to be shared on social media and the website
- Assist with the compilation of marketing materials for programs including the Annual Report and other year-end materials
- Create updated PowerPoint presentation template and update training presentations using the template
Event Preparation and Execution
- Assist the staff and board with the preparation of our online events, webinars, external events, and more
- Support on event aspects such as the creation of event marketing materials, promotional social media posts, attendee tracking, speaker liaison and follow up
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Strong computer skills in Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Experience with Salesforce, Constant Contact, WordPress, Hootsuite and/or Canva or technical computer ability and savvy
- Ability to take initiative and self-motivate to work independently and remotely
- Experience with social media platforms
- Currently enrolled in or recently graduated from an undergraduate or graduate program at a university
While this is an unpaid position, depending on your university, you may be eligible to receive academic credit.
September 8, 2020
15-20 hours per week. Due to the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, this internship will be fully remote.
Please send your resume and cover letter detailing why you are interested in an internship with Hostage US to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications accepted on a rolling basis
Spread the word
You can also help Hostage US by spreading the word about the work we do. Start discussions with family, friends and your employer. Let others know about our important mission.
Follow us on social media. Share our posts and content from our website and encourage your network to get involved.